We are looking for males and females who:
1) Are between the ages of 20-79 years.
2) Have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes by their physician for more than 1 year;
3) Have a current HbA1c is of 6.5-8.0%;
4) Are in treatment which includes lifestyle or stable (≥3 months) oral glucose-lowering medications;
5) Have a blood pressure of <160/99 mm Hg;
6) Are non-smoking;
7) Have no prior history of cardio vascular disease or stroke;
8) Are not on hormone replacement therapy, corticosteroids, or anti-inflammatory medications;
This study involves a total of 3 visits (~8 hours) to the Exercise Metabolism and Inflammation Laboratory located in ART115 at UBC Okanagan.
VISIT 1: you will be asked to provide informed consent and complete a medical history questionnaire to further assess your eligibility as well as a cognition test and body measurements.
VISITS 2 and 3: you will then consume a drink containing ketones or a placebo. You will report to the laboratory in a fasted state bringing a 24-hour food log everything you ate and drank on the day before. During this visit: An intravenous (IV) catheter will be inserted into your arm for repeated blood samples (similar to a medical laboratory or hospital “IV”). We will obtain approximately 2 tablespoon (~10 millilitres) of blood for each one of 7 blood samples. Brain blood flow will be measured non-invasively with transcranial Doppler ultrasound (TCD). You will complete an 8-10 minute cognitive test battery on an iPad at 3 separate intervals throughout the study as well as answer some questionnaires.
At the end of the visit there will be complimentary breakfast!
A monetary compensation will be given at the end of the 3 visits.
The main objective of this study is to determine the effects of ketone supplementation on glucose levels.
If you are interested please contact: